“I trust Mozilla more than Google, the problem is Mozilla trusts Google more than you.”
Google is their primary search engine, in all their screenshots they advertise Google Search and Google Play rather than self hosting their own F-Droid repo. Google is their primary and only ‘real’ source of income and ironically their competitor. No PeerTube or Mastodon accounts to follow. It’s again Twitter and YouTube.
Mozilla bad - Firefox meh
If you tweak Firefox and Chromium to the max, the only reason you’d use Firefox is that it’s not controlled by Google, or is it?
Google funds Mozilla’s life support but somehow their codebase seems to favour your freedom, using open standards. That’s as of right now. I think eventually Firefox will be filled with DRM stuff ported from Chrome. (Librewolf vs UngoogledChromium) are on par on the privacy side, while Chromium has waay way better security (site isolation).
But this comes at a cost..
Chromium is just eating into the marketshare and there are legit reasons anyhow competition like - Firefox have many security issues (sandboxing) sucks where Chromium and Safari works better. Pages load slower on most sites. They implement web technologies very late and websites say just use Chrome. Mozilla turns telemetry and their spyware on by default. Things like Brave are upfront and less invasive in terms of network requests / telemetry.
Look - The average user doesn’t have the time to toggle off all their tracking
When people ask what browser should they use I suggest LibreWolf a sanitized version of Firefox, Ungoogled Chromium or Brave. With the only downside with the latter, its Chromium base for the sake of your freedom. There are no legit alternatives that shoulder Chromium’s speed and security. Smaller browsers focus on one sided platforms and a specific use case. For the forseable future we have to live with Chromium. But make sure it’s de-googled. I suggest UnGoogled Chromium for most users. If top notch sync features and upstream security updates are your concern use hardened Brave is the best for normie users.
Firefox by default, is more invasive of privacy than Brave or Chromium
Here’s what Mozilla should do
- Stop draining your funds in unproductive campain programs and poltics.
- Just get out of politics, you’re a browser company, stick to that.
- Ask support from users before the 3 year search contract with Google is over.
- Release Firefox Fission ASAP, on all platforms including Android
- Change your release schedule, for the STABLE release only develop ESR versions with timely security patches, fund your security team more to finish Site Isolation, keep all the new features for the Beta and Nightly.
- Start an F-Droid repo and focus on a degoogled, bigtech free experience.
- Remove all anti-features, telemetry, etc, in the STABLE releases of Firefox. Keep it in the Nightly builds.
- Ask users for donations and effectively show us why you’ll beat Chromium/Google in performance than shake their hands.
- Get away from Google, and eventually add uBlock Origin as a prebuilt addon with other community focused privacy plugins.
- ‘Firefox’ :: ‘Mozilla’ : is to ‘Google Search’ :: ‘Google’ The fact that it’s not Chromium is the only ‘real reason to stick with Mozilla’. If Firefox fails, Mozilla is dead. And yes, Google holds hostage Firefox and feeds them just enough to defend themselves from anti-trust laws.
I plan to stick to Brave (Chromium) / Tor Browser and can not recommend Firefox to everyone until it fixes itself.
Watch this excellent video by Lunduke predicted these things 2 years ago.