“I trust Mozilla more than Google, the problem is Mozilla trusts Google more than you.”
Google is the primary search engine, in all their screenshots they advertise Google Search and Google Play rather than self hosting their own F-Droid repo. Google is their primary and only ‘real’ source of income and ironically their competitor. No PeerTube or Mastodon accounts to follow. It’s again Twitter and YouTube.
Mozilla bad - Firefox meh
If you tweak Firefox and Chromium to the max, the only reason you’d use Firefox is that it’s not controlled by Google, or is it?
Google funds Mozilla’s life support but somehow their codebase seems to favour your freedom, using open standards. For example (Librewolf vs UngoogledChromium) are on par on the privacy side, while Chromium has way better security (site isolation).
But this comes at a cost..
The average user doesn’t have the time to toggle off all their tracking
When people ask what browser should they use I suggest LibreWolf a sanitized version of Firefox, Ungoogled Chromium or Brave. With the only downside with the latter, its Chromium base.
Here’s what Mozilla should do
- Stop draining your funds in unproductive campain programs.
- Ask support from users before the 3 year search contract with Google is over.
- Release Firefox Fission ASAP, on all platforms including Android and to do that:-
- Change your release schedule, for the STABLE release only develop ESR versions with timely security patches, fund your security team, plus finish Fission, keep all the new features for the Beta and Nightly.
- Remove all anti-features, telemetry, etc, in the STABLE releases of Firefox. Keep it in the Nightly builds.
- Ask users for donations in crypto.
- Get away from Google, and eventually add uBlock Origin as a prebuilt addon.
- Firefox : Mozilla is to Google Search : Google is the only real reason use Mozilla. If Firefox fails, Mozilla is dead.